That is not Democracy

According to Wikipedia, "A democracy is a political system, or a system of decision-making within an institution or organization or a country, in which all members have an equal share of power. Democracy in its earliest forms is generally associated with the efforts of the ancient Greeks and Romans." Please you may want to read a little more on the ancient democracy. Then Abraham Lincoln defined democracy as “…government of the people, by the people, and for the people.”

Democracy is not only "talk make a talk", or only voting. I think being part of the process, owning the process (individually and collectively) and participating in the process in an informed manner without fear or favour to our collective benefit. That is my definition of democracy. 

I sincerely think we are not practicing democracy in the world especially my country Ghana. Maybe we are practicing something that looks like democracy but is not democracy and I have my reasons. 

 1. Our Constitution 
 When a small group of the elite society put together a piece of rules for us to vote on is not democracy. I am sure more than 75% of people who voted for the Constitution to become Constitution did not even know what is contained in the Constitution.  You are surprised! As educated as we are, how many of us refer to the constitution or read it. Even if you do, you may think you are reading ancient Greek.  Hiding simple things from us in the name of law language is not democracy.  Secondly in the ancient days the law was there for everyone to see or have access to. I never knew what a constitution looked like until my SSS days. I kept wondering if the Constitution looks like Moses' Ten Commandments tablet. Then lastly, I think we should make new laws every year. Laws that may apply to President Rawlings and my father, may not apply to President Nana and us. The current constitution is nothing but an imposition of law on us the citizenry. When the 1992 constitution was made, I was not even in JSS and now am a grown man with kids. Who said what my father wanted is the same I wanted too?

 2. The way we vote
 Do you know that our very system of voting is not democratic? Yes, when you assume because I am not up to 18 years so I can't make sound decisions. Gracious, young people at age 16, 17 etc are managing their own organisations. I think every thinking person should be allowed to vote. In Ghana, we are about 25 million but only about 11 million voted. Less than half the population, that is not democracy. Secondly, do you know you can vote but your vote may not count? Spoil ballot papers, that is also not democracy. There should be a better way but why are we not exploring them.

 3. The way we are represented in Parliament 
 In ancient Greece, representatives of various constituents in decision-making had regular meetings with their constituents. And they vote based on what the constituents need or want. But in our Ghana democracy, you beg to see your Member of Parliament.  In fact, when they need your vote they will virtually be begging you and they look pitiful.  Let them win and all of a sudden they become gods. They are untouchable.  When you say it, you are dragged to a Privileged Committee. How democratic is it that I wronged you and you become the judge in your own case? That is not democracy for me. This is what I think, contempt cases should be voted on by the populace, and let's see if all of us may not be thinking the same way. This system only puts fear in us. The system gag majority of us not to speak the truth and that definately is not democracy. I am not encouraging insults or lies but the truth in any form. In any case, these people who always want to be called honorable insult themselves and tell more lies than any Ghanaian on their campaign platforms.  Double standard at its best. And again, I am so convinced they don't think of us. They only think of themselves ( how to win back power) and their party. That is why they vote on party lines not what we want. Why should we have a minority and a majority in parliament or even an opposition party? Why should we have Whips in parliament, that also is not democracy. 

 4. Our Judicial system 
 These guys are so powerful just like their other friends.  Well, I will try my best not to offend the gods but in case I do, abeg me I no get money take lawyer ooo. But the question I will want to ask is this, why should someone have to interpret the law that is suppose to guide all of us? Go to the Bible when God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses. Don't steal, don't commit murder very simple. And the punishments are also clear. Why can't our laws be the same? Why do I need to pay some lawyer to get justice, that is not fair. Natural justice should be accessible to anyone regardless of their religion or status in society. Do you think justice is free? No! it is not. Have a case with some rich guy, the rich guy gets the best lawyer because he can afford it. You lose the case on technicalities but not the truth and I don't see that as democracy.  That is not fair. Again those legal processes and procedures only benefit a section of society.

 5. The Presidency
President Nana Addo a.k.a Showboy happy New year ooo. He is my Uncle-in-law, hehe. He said before the election that he is showboy, but your in-law has not seen any show yet ooo. Don't forget me abeg. Now to my point, why should we vote for the president and immediately take power he is so powerful when in fact he should be serving us. Do you know that in Ghana all powers are vested in the President? Ooh la, let me tell you. There are lots of decisions taken and the president refused to implement them. Or I am telling lies? Maybe I am telling lies.  Why should the employee be more powerful than the employer? Aaah, we voted for him and we pay Mr. President with our hard-earned money think about it that way. Let's talk about the age limitation as far as the presidency is concerned. Who said Emmanuel Edudzie wouldn't be a good president at his age? Just google the guy la. Who said the late Komla Domor wouldn't have been a good president at his age? What about Vincent Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, and my own former boss Raymond Avatim. The system is not democratic and that is definately not democracy. Happy New Year, Long live Ghana and Long live all of us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINAL SPEECH- EDITED

THE 7 THINGS SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE NEVER SAY

I AM NOT AFRAID TO BE TAGGED